Zachary James

Zachary James

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Beginnings....and Old Business

Happy New Year everyone!  I can't believe it's 2012!!  I would say 2011 went quick - but when I think back on how much we accomplished and went through this year...it seems like a lot shoved into a year ;).  Here's a recap:
  • January - Our family traveled to Chicago for Zac's first surgery and were there for 14 days while we learned how to accomplish tissue expansion.  It was stinkin' cold!!!  Zac had one expander placed and a large excision of nevus from his lower back/butt.
  • March - A great Nevus Outreach get-together where we met new nevus friends!!  After spending the night in the hospital for an infection, Zac, my Gramma and I headed back to Chicago for the removal of the expander.  We were so impressed by the amount of nevus Dr. Bauer was able to remove!  He also removed a raised, hairy satellite from Zac's forearm - it has since healed so well you can barely see the scar!
  • May - Zac turned 1; Zoie turned 5 and we had a festive double birthday party at the house!  Zoie graduated from pre-school and participated and took 2nd in a Kiddeeokee contest for MIX 96.9! 
  • June - I passed my CA Real Estate Test!!!  YEAY - I get to keep my job LOL!!!
  • August - Back to Chicago for Zac's third surgery and second expander placement.  Dr. Bauer was also able to remove 80% of two very large satellites on Zac's left leg.  These are looking good - we hope to have the remainder removed with the next surgery in March.  And I can't forget about the AWESOME Unofficial Nevus Outreach get-together at the hotel where we met so many new families and even Dr. Bauer himselft showed up!!  My precious little girl started Kindergarten!!  After a rough start with a flipped port and a tissue expander fill gone wrong...we ended the second round of expansion smoothly.
  • October - Along with my Gramma, we traveled back to Chicago for Zac's 4th surgery and removal of second tissue expander.  Results were good! 
  •  November-December - Our household has been fighting reoccuring colds and a bout with the stomach flu but are determined to start 2012 healthy!
This year has been filled with ups and downs.  We have had a lot of successful surgeries and have been able to stay afloat with our expenses though they have been great.  I just found out that I am already in the hole for vacation time this coming year due to a miscalculation in my 2011 sick time.  This means that I will have even less 'paid' time off from work this coming year.  Ugh...  I know that if I put my faith in God, we will find a way to push forward with the next four surgeries and the costly travel expenses that go along with them.

In March, on my birthday no less, Zac will have his fifth surgery and begin his third round of tissue expansion.  It is the first time that I will be traveling to Chicago all by myself.  Please continue to pray for us in 2012.  Here's a year in pictures to show you how far Zac has come (and to remind me so I can muster the strenght to get through this year...)
Happy New Year, everyone!!









1 comment:

  1. always great to check in and see what's going on - thanks for making the time to let us know what's going on with Z & the clan!
    m & a in ca

    ReplyDelete