Zachary James

Zachary James

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

We've Had Our Fill...

We were a couple of days late due to a runny nose and possibly a little cold but we got back on track today as we did Zac's first fill of 55cc.  It was quite a process though, I'll tell you.  First I have to numb Zac's port.  In order to do that I have to put Lidocaine on it and wrap him in Saran Wrap...yep...you heard me right.  The Lidocaine has to stay put for at least 45 minutes.  So...we have to wrap Saran Wrap around him to keep it in place.  When we were at Dr. Bauer's and we did his fill, they had these cool square pieces of plastic that you could tape over the area but Zac is a little hairy back there so when we pulled it off to start the fill I felt like we almost tipped him off to what was about to happen.  If anyone has any better ideas, please let me know.

While the Lidocaine soaks in, someone has to hold him so that he doesn't tear off his wrap.  That someone is Bruce, because I have to lay out all of our supplies.  A bag of saline, a 60cc plastic syringe, a couple pieces of gauze, alcohol preps, special scissors and a chlora-prep swab.  I have to fill the syringe with the saline and hook up the needle, make sure all the air bubbles are out and that everything stays sterile.  After 45 minutes, we are ready to begin.

Bruce holds Zac in a hug position and we had Zoie stand just behind him on the side that Zac was looking over.  I wipe off the Lidocaine and swab the port with the chlora-prep swab (which I almost forgot to do!), I make sure all the air is out of the tube of the needle and stick the needle into the port...which Zac should not even feel at this point.  Tonight, when I put the needle in, he arched his back a bit but did not cry or even express any discomfort....WHEW...success #1.  Bruce's job is to hold him as still as possible while the needle is in.  My job is to inject the saline and Zoie's job is to entertain which tonight she did in full.  It's the perfect family effort.  So, tonight while I was plunging 55cc of saline into the expander, Zoie was dancing, singing and waving a light-up toy maraca around keeping him entertained...and happy.  I have to make sure to check the skin as we 'expand' to make sure the skin still looks pink and is not over-firm.  Once the saline is in, the needle comes out and we are all done!  Tonight...no crying....success #2.  A total of 175cc....Wow, maybe we can do this :)


To get a general idea of what we are aiming for, this is a 500cc expander which will hold well over that.
For those of you who are visual...700cc is about the size of a D cup boob. LOL



1 comment:

  1. WOW. You guys are awesome and such good parents. God Bless all of you. Love you. G-Ma LuLu

    ReplyDelete